Wedding traditions have changed a lot over the years with many once cherished traditions disappearing into the black obis. However, one that has managed to outlive many of its relatives is the much loved father daughter dance.
This dance is symbolic of the love between a father and daughter and of the end of a chapter as he is giving her away to her husband on this special day. Depending on the style and theme of the wedding the song for this special dance can vary massively from tear jerkers, to top selling pop songs, to country classics. Below are some of our ideas for the best father daughter dance songs:
- Daddy’s Little Girl by Michael Buble- This is a beautiful tune to explain the special bond between a father and daughter.
- Fathers & Daughters by Michael Bolton- This is very fitting for the day a dad gives his little girl away and shows that this is not an ending but rather just a new beginning.
- Little Miss Magic by Jimmy Buffett- Although this song is traditionally sung to a young girl it represents the childhood innocence that a father never stops seeing in his daughter’s eyes.
- Fathers Eyes by Amy Grant- Thie emotional song shows a daughter’s admiration for her father.
- My Little Girl by Tim McGraw- This piece shows how perfect and innocent a fathers daughter is to him.
- EmmyLou by Vance Joy- Vance Joy captures the idea of the safety net of a father perfectly in this song.
- It’s For My Dad by Nancy Sinatra- It’s For My Dad shows a daughter’s unconditional love for her father.
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and Natlie Cole- This special father daughter duet focuses on the beautiful bond that they share.
- Gracie by Ben Folds- In this song Ben Folds focuses on the honest and beautiful truth of fatherhood and his love for his daughter.
- Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler- This is a heartfelt song that shows the love and respect a daughter has for all that her father has done for her.
- To Know Him is To Love Him by Amy Winehouse- Amy Winehouse’s version of this beautiful song shows how loveable a father is and how simply being in his company can make you love him.
- She’s Somebody’s Daughter by Drew Baldridge- This beautiful song shows the special bond that only a father and daughter can understand.
- When You Say Nothing At All by Ronan Keating- This talks about the unspoken language between a father and his daughter and the omnipresence of such love.
- Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel- This song shows how a daughter is perfect in her dads eyes.
- True Colors by Eva Cassidy- This emotional song explains how there are many ways in which only a father can know and understand his daughter.
Well known Daddy Daughter Dance Songs
- What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong- This is a well known piece about the beauty within the world so what could be more fitting that this to represent the love between a father and daughter.
- Forever Young by Becky Hill- This highlights the fact that from a father’s eyes this is a big step in his daughter growing up.
- First Man by Camila Cabello- This is the perfect dance to connect your father to the big day.
- Your Song by Elton John- This song highlights how a father will do anything for his daughter.
- One Call Away by Charlie Puth- This song shows the unconditional love a dad feels for his daughter.
- All of Me by John Legend- Once again, this song focuses on the love that a father feels for his child.
- Butterfly Fly Away by Miley Cyrus- Written from the perspective of a loving daughter this is a beautiful reflection of a fathers influence on a child.
- Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder- This classic can be used to show how a father sees his daughter as being perfect.
- You’ve Got A Friend In Me by Randy Newman- This Disney favourite shows the true friendship that occurs between a father and daughter.
- Circle of Life by Carmen Twillie and Lebo M- Another Disney favourite focusing on progression of human life and shows a fathers emotional recognition of his daughters aging.
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John- Yet another classic Disney song which allows a father to remind his daughter of his omnipresent love especially on such a special day.
- You are My Sunshine by Johnny Cash- This song focuses on the love a father has for his daughter and the isolation he feels when she is not there.
- Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant- This is a daughters thank you to her father for all that he has done for her over the years.
- Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel) by Billy Joel – Well accredited singer Billy Joel writes this song about the love he has for his daughter and wanting her to know that he will always be there.
- Hero by Meriah Carey- If your dad is your hero then this could be the perfect song choice for your father daughter dance.
- The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra- This is a popular choice for father daughter dances as it shows the admiration a father feels for his daughter.
- Your Song by Elton John- This song is often used as a couples love song however it can also be symbolic of how a father will do anything for his child.
- I’ll Stand By You by The Pretenders- This song shows the true love a father feels for his daughter and how nothing could change this.
- Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan focuses on how he would do anything to show his daughter how much he loves her.
- Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift- A modern day masterpiece that highlights a dads wish that his daughter would never grow up.
- Hold My Girl by George Ezra- This is a modern song which can be dedicated to showing the special bond between a father and a daughter.
- Make You Feel My Love by Adele- This shows the importance of
- Forever Young By Rod Stewart- This is a slightly more fun but yet still classic song to express the way a father feels about his daughter
- Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns and Roses- If you want to go for a more upbeat or even rock vibe through out your wedding then this could be the song for you.
- Sweet Pea by Amos Lee- Mirrors the stereotypical father daughter relationship.
- You’re My Best Friend by Queen- This fun and traditional classic shows the friendship that can exist between a parent and a child.
- Daddy by Beyonce- This song is written from a loving daughter to her father as she reflects on the love she felt for her father growing up.
- Papa Don’t Preach by Madonna- A fun father daughter dance song to add some upbeat light hearted fun to the big day.
- Mockingbird by Eminem- Rap may not seem like the most obvious choice for a father daughter dance but this song is all about the deep rooted love a father feels for his daughter.
- God Only Knows by The Beach Boys- No song could better describe a fathers undying love for his daughter.
- Daughters by Nas- Again this song is not a traditional father daughter song but could be good fun.
- Dance Like Yo Daddy by Meghan Trainor- This song provides a fun upbeat song for those dad and daughters who are also the best of friends.
- My Girl by The Temptations- The traditional yet upbeat song can signify the important role that a daughter plays in her dads life.
- According To You by Orianthi- This rock style song shows how where most people see imperfections a dad only sees perfection. It can also show how a dad has increased his daughters confidence by picking her up everytime that the world has knocked her down.
- How Sweet It Is(To Be Loved By You) by James Taylor– This fun tune shows that both parties feel lucky to have one another. It also shows how the love between a father and daughter is a special sort of love which can not be compared to any other.
- Dance With My Daughter by Jason Blaine- What could be more fitting then a song directly about a father and daughter dance. This song really highlights how special this dance is and all that it is symbolic of.
- It Won’t Be Like This For Long by Darius Rucker- This song is reflective of a father bringing his daughter up. It is an emotional way of recognising the fact that this special day is symbolic of the fact that his daughter is now a fully grown and independent woman.
- Daddy by Abbey Anderson- This song is written from the daughters perspective and shows that it is because of her father she has such a happy and healthy relationship. It shows that a dad is his daughter’s first love and sets the foundations for how she feels that she should be treated in the future. It also shows that her husband has a lot of expectations to live up to.
- Roots and Wings by Miranda Lambert- This country favourite shows how greatful a daughter can be for their dad. It could be the perfect song choice if you would like to take this opportunity to show your dad how much you appreciate him.
- For My Daughter by Kane Brown- This song shows a dad’s innate desire to protect his daughter, this is a song which most dad and daughter duos will be able to relate to.
- I Will Walk With You by John Fogerty- This country classic is written by a father about his constant and never ending love for his daughter, it shows that no matter what she does in life he will always be her companion and that she can count on his support no matter where life may take them.
- Daddys Hands by Holly Dunn- This beautiful piece shows all the ways that fathers show their daughters love and the fact that there is no lengths that a dad will not go to for his little girl.
The bond between a father and daughter is unique and special and so your dance should be reflective of your bond. Whatever song you pick it is sure to be a magical moment.
When trying to decide on a song for this special moment it is important to firstly consider your theme and the overall style of your big day so that you can figure out what type of song would be best for instance whether you should use a country, western, pop or rock song.
Secondly, it is important to remember that not only is the music genre important but also the lyrics themselves. You want these words to be reflective of your and your dads bond whether it is heartfelt and deep, friendly or quirky and fun.
Overall, you should trust yourself and your instincts when it comes to picking the right song as you know your situation better than anyone. It could also be a nice idea to use picking this special song as an opportunity to get dad involved with the wedding and to have some bonding time.