“Keeping the Sparks Alive” Series
For instance, I know lots of men “forget” that their wife needs loving notes or touches through the day. If you have a smart phone, you have no excuse to forget. Just as you schedule important client notes or work deadlines, simply program in brief reminders into your week.
- For example, Monday morning at 10 a.m. set a reminder to text or email your spouse about something positive from the weekend. You can even put the reminders in code if you don’t want them to know, but make it easy. Then do it right away. “Had a great time Sat night” or “That lingerie was a hit” or “Thanks for putting up with my extended family this weekend.” Done.
- Wednesday at lunch, set a reminder to call and say you were just thinking of him.
- Thursday remind yourself to mail a sweet card that you have stashed in your office. Buy these cards in bulk, pre-address them, and put love stamps on them. Always ready to go. If you don’t want to mail it, hide the card in a briefcase or leave where it will be seen.
- Saturday, set a reminder to go hug your wife. She won’t care if the hug comes after your phone buzzes.
- Sunday, set an alarm to leave a short sticky note or small gift somewhere they will find it, such as a favorite candy bar or a candle or scented lotion.
For those who are willing to put a small fund toward creating romance, you can even automate your gift-giving. The first idea came from 1001 Ways to Be Romantic by Gregory J.P. Godek:
- Place a standing order with a friendly florist, giving him or her a list with birthdays, anniversary, Valentine’s Day, or “just because” days. Provide a price range and your floral likes/dislikes. Leave your credit card number and a request to send these orders on the selected days, or to call you and go over the orders together a few days ahead of time.
- Join a beer/wine/cheese of the month club that allows your guy to get a monthly surprise.
- Your husband might even agree to a monthly lingerie allowance to surprise him. Select multiple items at once to save you time.
The key is to make daily romance automatic and easy. If you can’t make time for a two-minute task each day to maintain a romantic atmosphere in your marriage, your lover may not be high enough on your list of priorities.
What is your biggest obstacle to romance—time, creativity or money? Your answer will help me determine what kind of tips to share here.
The 50 best marriage tips ever from YourTango.com.
ABC News reports a good kiss can seal a relationship, while bad kiss can kill it. The video has more research on kissing.
Photo credit: ©Melissa Schalke/PhotoXpress.com